For library research at a distance, go to our library website's section for Distance Students at Distance Education to find information about getting library materials through interlibrary loan, as well as lots of links to full-text resources for your studies.Janet Rex of the Chester Fritz Library gives an informative library resources presentation, especially helpful to distance education students.
NEWS FROM CHESTER FRITZ LIBRARY:
—OUR LIBRARY HAS REFWORKS (in either RefWorks Classic or RefWorks 2.0) to help you store your research citations and format the notes and bibliographies within your MS-Word written papers. Your RefWorks account is stored on a remote server, so it is available to you from any computer with internet access. RefWorks allows you to be able to store your research citations, Create New Folders for each of your papers, easily place references within your papers, and easily change the style of your citations. More than 1,200 styles are supported, such as APA, MLA, Chicago, CSE, etc.
For additional instruction, please call me or enter and click on Help Using RefWorks or Tutorial: RefWorks 2.0 or Tutorial: Refworks Classic. It is wise to double check the citations against the style manuals.
Some installation steps:
- Pop-up blockers can cause problems. The Internet Explorer Browser has often worked better with RefWorks, and you can easily temporarily allow pop ups to aid installation of RefWorks or the transfer of citations between databases and RefWorks. To install RefWorks on the Firefox Browser, please click on Tools, then Options, then Content, then uncheck Block Pop ups. Now you will be able to install RefWorks.
- Please go to the For Distance Students web page, the Resources by Subject—Space Studies web page or Quick Links on our Chester Fritz Library web site to find . Click on Sign up for an Individual Account and you can create an account for yourself using your university e-mail address.
- You will now be able to go into databases and either Export (EBSCOhost, CSA, ProQuest databases, etc.), Import (Google Scholar, PubMed), manually enter, or enter through RSS Feeds the citations for your papers.
- Click on Tools (in RefWorks), then download Write-N-Cite to your Desktop, so that you will be able to format the in-text references and create a works cited page.
- OR you can create a bibliography in RefWorks and copy and paste it into a Word document.
- If you want to be able to grab citations off of internet web sites (when possible), please click on Tools (in RefWorks), then RefGrab-It and install RefGrab-It as a bookmarklet.
- You might need to temporarily allow pop ups to create bibliographies and get materials into RefWorks.
RESEARCH GUIDESPlease check out our Research Guides web pages for Space Studies in order to find listings of new books, a selection of DVDs, resource & reference links, journal article & newspaper databases, and many e-book and e-journal listings.
TUTORIALSSome tutorials are on the Space Studies web page, while others are under construction at this time.
JOURNAL ARTICLE INDEXES AND DATABASES & PASSWORDSCheck the Research Guide— Space Studies web page for a list of the best databases for finding Journal Articles in your field such as Academic Search Premier, ADS, Aerospace Database, Elsevier ScienceDirect, SCOPUS. (Other journal databases can be found under Databases A to Z or the Quick Links drop down box in the upper right on the library home page , where the Articles tab can also provide easy access to journal articles through the View Online links). Simply supply your university IDM e-mail username (usually firstname.lastname–or whatever is before the @ of your university e-mail address) and your password to access our article indexes and databases from off-campus.
- LINKING FEATURE— —Because our databases are linked with this linking feature, you can now search one database and click on the symbol to get linking to full-text journal articles in other databases.
- JOURNAL TITLES — Click on the Journal Titles link (under Research) on the library home page to find a specific journal in the full-text format. This is not a subject search. This search is also available on the Space Studies web page under the Journal Articles tab. Simply Click Here To Search For More. Many full text/electronic journals relevant to Space Studies are listed here as well.
ACADEMIC SEARCH PREMIER & OTHER EBSCOHOST DATABASESOne can search all of the EBSCOhost journal article databases at once through the Choose Databases feature (located near the top of the screen within these databases). One can learn more about these databases with the EBSCO host support tutorials.
E-BOOKSCheck the Research Guide—Space Studies web page for E-Books in your field or search through our Books+ catalog.
BOOKSOn the library home page, click on the Bookstab to find UND books through the search box. Book renewals for Chester Fritz Library books may be obtained under My Account, then Renew this. Check to make sure the date has changed and the book has been renewed. The Library Catalog Book Search & some relevant Space Studies books are listed on the Space Studies web page under the Books tab . Click on WorldCat to find books in other libraries. Any books that are unavailable locally may be ordered through interlibrary loan.
LOAN PERIODSGraduate students are able to borrow the general Chester Fritz Library books for an entire semester (unless the books are recalled). Undergraduate loan periods are currently a month (unless recalled). Faculty/staff may borrow books until mid May (unless recalled). Some Chester Fritz Library collections, such as the Dewey children’s books, AV (such as DVDs or videos), and the government documents collections, circulate for one month. In all cases, loans are subject to recall after two weeks. The branch library circulation periods may differ from these loan periods.
INTERLIBRARY LOANAny materials that are unavailable locally or electronically may be ordered through interlibrary loan through the Chester Fritz Library. On-campus, the materials may be picked up at the Access Services Desk. Off-campus students/faculty (defined as not living within a 58201, 58202, 58203 or 56721 zip code) should go to the For Distance Students web page and follow the steps under the Interlibrary Loan Services tab .
DISTANCE EDUCATION WEB PAGEStudents who are living at a distance, please notice the For Distance Students web page.
USING THE CHESTER FRITZ LIBRARY ON CAMPUSPlease login to our library computers by using your university IDM e-mail account. Your username is the first part of your university e-mail account (usually firstname.lastname) and your password is your university e-mail password. Students can obtain a University ID Card from the Memorial Union, and students can swipe the University ID Card in the library’s copy release station to use $8 per semester that is on each student card for computer printing.
MY TELEPHONE NUMBERS or E-MAILPlease e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org . Locally, please contact me at 701-777-4641. If you are long distance and need library assistance, call me at 1-888-557-7117, then press ext. 5 (Distance Education Assistance). Leave a message if I am not available, and I will get back to you.
Janet Rex, Space Studies Librarian &
Coordinator, Distance Education Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota
3051 University Ave Stop 9000
Grand Forks, ND 58202-9000
Toll Free Phone: (888) 557-7117, Press ext. 5
Local phone: (701) 777-4641 or (701) 777-2617 ext. 5
Fax: (701) 777-3319